Jesus explained in Luke 6:43-45, “For no good tree bears bad fruit, nor again does a bad tree bear good fruit, for each tree is known by its own fruit. For figs are not gathered from thornbushes, nor are grapes picked from a bramble bush. The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.”
Christ explains—don’t expect figs to grow from a thornbush – it needs to be a fig tree for figs to grow!
Don’t expect grapes to grown from a bramble bush. – it needs to be a grape vine for grapes to grow!
Don’t expect Christ-likeness to come out of an unbeliever—they need Jesus to be like Jesus!
But do expect growth in Christ-likeness to come out of a believer—it shows they really have Jesus!
Before you listen to this sermon on 1 John 3:4-10, focus on what Jesus said again, “each tree is known by its own fruit.” We are going to see this statement explained more in 1 John 3:4-10.
- Christians abide in Christ, not in sin. (1 John 3:4-7, 9-10)
- Because sin is rebellion against God
- Because Jesus appeared in order to take away sins
- Because if you belong to Christ, you will look more and more like Christ
- Because they are now God’s children, not the devil’s children
- Christ came to destroy sin. (1 John 3:8)